By Carl Stagner
Can’t make it to Church of God Convention this year? We’ve got good news! The convention planning committee, elected by the General Assembly in 2014, determined early on that they wanted to offer a taste of Church of God Convention to persons who simply could not make it to Oklahoma City in 2015. Based on the rich content and special guests scheduled for Wednesday evening’s worship session, the planning committee came to the conclusion that Wednesday evening’s experience would be the most encouraging for online participation. Church of God Ministries is pleased to offer free live streaming of the Wednesday evening worship session (June 24, 7:00 PM CDT), and free live streaming of all General Assembly sessions.
Wednesday evening’s free opportunity to watch a live worship session will provide you with just a taste of the inspirational worship, compelling stories, dynamic preaching, and the physical expression of unity emblematic of the Church of God Convention. The joy of Church of God Convention is not meant to be experienced alone, however. Why not share with others the preaching of Francis Chan, the towering soprano voice of Sandi Patty, and the powerhouse tenor Larnelle Harris—all scheduled for Wednesday evening’s session?
Here are five ideas to make your live streaming experience both meaningful and memorable:
• Wednesday Prayer Meeting/Bible Study. Probably the most common evening for midweek prayer meetings and Bible studies is Wednesday. Why not suspend normal activities for a one-time convention screening with your small group? Remember, the session is scheduled for 7:00 to 9:00 PM CDT. Make it interactive—use #BeBold2015 on Facebook and Twitter.
• Special Church-wide Screening. Whether or not your church holds regular midweek services, you can plan on inviting the entire congregation to a special evening service where the Church of God Convention is broadcast from Oklahoma City into your worship center or sanctuary.
• Local Church of God Unity Rally. Perhaps there are multiple Church of God congregations in your area. They may have others who can’t attend the convention this year, but would love to watch one of the sessions. Some of these individuals may not have Internet access in their home. Plan a special local Church of God unity rally, and before and after the event, introduce visiting congregations, pray for the worship service about to commence, and sing a few worship songs together.
• Soul Food Banquet. Consider a potluck or pitch-in dinner to precede a live convention-watching event. Encourage others to gather for food that will feed the body and the soul.
• Family & Friends Worship Night. Round up a group of alumni from your Church of God college or university, or bring together friends and members of your own family—anyone who might be interested or curious! Grab the popcorn and the soft drinks, and be prepared for a blessing from God.
Local church ministry depends on attendance and active involvement of those who attend. Likewise, Church of God Ministries strongly encourages brothers and sisters from across the movement to gather together in one place at one time to worship together, interact with one another, and be actively involved in the direction of the movement. Unlike the atmosphere of a studio broadcast on television or over the Internet, the Church of God Convention functions as designed when the Church of God comes together in-person as a physical expression of the unity we proclaim. As we seek to increase General Assembly participation, we also pour the brunt of our energies into producing an experience especially with the in-person attendee in mind. For those who cannot attend this year, we pray that the General Assembly sessions, in addition to Wednesday evening’s live-streamed session, will bless you and encourage you to attend in the future. Thank you for your understanding and support of this goal. Jesus is the subject!
Be in-the-know beyond Wednesday evening’s session. Visit http://www.chognews.org to follow the latest news coming out of Oklahoma City. Follow Church of God Ministries on Facebook (Church of God – Anderson, Indiana) and Twitter (@ChoGMinistries) for up-to-the-minute happenings throughout each convention day. Use #BeBold2015 to join in on the conversation, even if you cannot attend in person.
Will you be holding a Wednesday evening live-streaming event in your community? Be sure to let us know on social media that you’re participating! As always, use #BeBold2015.
Wednesday evening’s worship session begins at 7:00 PM CDT, and may last a couple of hours. General Assembly sessions are scheduled as follows: Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday (June 23–25), 8:30–10:30 AM CDT. For more information about Church of God Convention 2015, including a detailed schedule, visit www.chogconvention.org.